Intracellular Copper Overload – the Western Metabolic Bomb
COPPER OVERLOAD ( Cu ↑ ) – THE WESTERN METABOLIC BOMB
” If we are going to discover nature’s form, it is probably imperative to drive as hard as possible at the critical points of mystery.” Henry P. STAPP ( 1989 )
” The EPSICO model ( EPS = Excessive Prolonged Stress ) centered on the ICO = Intracellular Copper Overload = the indisputable Generator of all chronic diseases; connecting the emotional and physiological realms, it could become the biochemical core of the New American Medicine. “
Modern ( conventional ) medicine is very proficient at handling acute care, mainly due to the advanced technology and to the drastically simplified picture of most emergency ( crisis ) situations. However, in the field of chronic disorders, things are very different; despite some local successes, it became clearly that modern medicine experiences serious difficulties when approaching the etiology of chronic diseases. This chronic counter-performance could be explained by ignoring or superficially approaching the essential connection between stress, individual mineral status ( especially the intracellular copper overload – Cu↑) and, correlatively, copper interference toxicity – CIT, a chronic form of mineral toxicity that plays a unique role in the etiology of all chronic diseases – infectious, inflammatory and degenerative.
The main conclusion of this study ( EPSICO model ) is that the true generator of the epidemic of chronic diseases is not the genes, nor the germs, and nor the chronic / silent / hidden inflammation – all these are no more than some important modulators – but the intracellular copper overload – the master metabolic imbalance of the contemporary Western society.
By reading carefully this unusual paper ( refused shortly by a notorious mainstream medical journal ) you’ll understand – as specialists or laymen -some of the ” biggest mysteries ” of the contemporary medicine ( I’ve stubbornly studied them for decades in Brasov and Evanston ). For instance :
– the definitely lack of progress in understanding / preventing / treating of cancer(s) : Copper overload ( neglected by the most cancer experts ) incredibly increases the apoptotic resistance ( biological stability ) of cancerous cells , concomitantly diminishing the vitality of the healthy cells; I think it’s a very… promising starting point for a decisive / generalized application of …chemotherapy, don’t you ?);
– Cu ↑ constitutes the shortest way towards a …firm, inescapable obesity ( via : Cu ↑ → Cr ↓, etc. ); what the numbers say: 66% of Americans are copper dominant / chromium defficient, while 65 % are overweight. A mere coincidence ?
– Dehydration problem can’t be solved simply by drinking 8 ( or more ) water cups / daily because, due to the same copper overload ,the cells are / remain deficient in : choline, sodium, aldosterone ( all being …reputed copper antagonists! );
– Frequent accidents of the first class sportsmen / women are due mainly to a ligamentous laxity , caused by the chronic deficiency of Manganese: Cu ↑ → Mn ↓, correlatively, their poor healing of ( chronic ) wounds being due to : Cu ↑ → Hyaluronic acid ↓ ;
Abbreviations: EPS = excessive, prolonged stress; CIT = copper interference toxicity;
EPS/ICO = excessive, prolonged stress / intracellular copper overload.
MT = metallothionein or stress protein; Cuf ↓= functional copper deficiency, produced by intracellular copper overload ( Cu↔ MT)↑, according to the scheme:
EPS→ Cortisol↑ → MT↑ →(Cu↔MT)↑ → Cuf↓
Attention: All information on this site is for general education purposes only. Because everybody is different , you have to contact your doctor to establish the best treatment / protocol for your specific condition.
1. The most important sources of chronicity
Chronicity is a multifactorial process, the three most important factors being:
1.1 Progressive demineralization of the soil – uncompensated exhaustion of some essential minerals and notorious copper antagonists, such as: chromium ( Cr ), zinc ( Zn ), manganese ( Mn )…
1.2 EPS → Cu↑ → Cr↓, Zn↓, Mn↓
2 out of 3 Americans are copper dominant. The tendency to absorb /retain too much copper is typical for Western societies, currently under a debilitating stress; in normal stress conditions, the copper absorption / retention is about 30 % from the daily intake, while EPS raises this parameter to 80 %.
1.3 Industrial refining of food ( grains / carbohydrates, oils, salt ); for instance, obtaining white flour from whole wheat leads to 92 % loss of the initial content ( already diminished, see 1.1 ) of Cr, Zn, Mn.
2. C I T ( copper interference toxicity ) – a metabolic downward spiral
EPS →(Cu ↔MT)↑ = CIT → Downregulation of antagonists & upregulation of agonists → Hypoadrenalism / Hypothyroidism / Immune System Malfunction → CHRONIC DISEASES ( infectious: Cu↑↓; degenerative: Cu↔MT↑; inflammatory: Cuf↓ )
Intracellular copper overload determines the intracellular, stable depletion of copper antagonists, with serious implications in distortion of mineral and general metabolism:
(Cu↔MT)↑ → Cr↓, Zn↓, Mn↓, S↓( sulfur ), Se↓(selenium ),Vitamin C complex↓, vitamin A ↓, Complex B ↓
Copper overload causes also a stable over- retention ( excess) of its synergists, especially calcium: (Cu↔MT)↑ → Ca↑ ( calcium ), ( Mg↑↓ ). Magnesium , though a copper antagonist, has a special/ better place being a calcium, zinc and chromium agonist. The particular importance of this overlooked chronic toxicity ( CIT ) is that no management of chronic problems ( symptoms, syndromes, diseases ) could be optimal once the intracellular copper overload is present. Only by bringing and maintaining the copper level within the physiological range – accomplished by synergistic procedures – all chronic conditions could be efficiently controlled, from joint laxity and low back pain to diabetes complications, cancers and beyond.
3. Copper Overload = Inefficient Metabolic Regulation
Chromium depletion: ( Cu↔MT)↑ → Cr↓
Chromium depletion constitutes a basic factor of human overweight: 66 % of the Americans are copper dominant / chromium deficient, while 65 % are overweight. Why is the chromium deficiency so massive and so difficult to control in our Western societies ? Here is my answer:
Copper ( Cu ) ↑ → Cr ↓
Sugar ↑ → Cr ↓
Calcium ( Ca ) ↑ → Cr ↓
Potassium ( K )↑ → Cr ↓
Iron ( Fe ) ↑ → Cr ↓
Cr↓ is the major contributor to the so called “ mineral resonances “ which explain why the chronic diseases are sometimes closely related:
Insulin resistance, underactive adrenals: Cr↓
Diabetes: Cr↓, Zn↓, Mg↓, Mn↓
Obesity: Cr↓, Zn↓, Mg↓, Ca↑.
Any regular treatment of these conditions can’t provide optimal and lasting results as long as the ratio Cr↓/ Cu↑ is not normalized.
Zinc depletion: (Cu↔MT)↑ → Zn↓
Sexual dysfunction of the Western population is centered on Zn deficiency. Zinc is still under-evaluated in all Western societies. For instance, people recognize that our soil is low in zinc, our diet is zinc deficient and our life is high in stress ( EPS →( Cu↔MT )↑ → Zn↓ ), however, the same people renovate their houses, replacing the galvanized (zinc) pipes with copper pipes ( leading to about 1.0 mg Cu ↑ /day / person ). It is metabolically counter-indicated to prescribe zinc ( Zn→ MT ↑ → (Cu↔MT)↑ ) to increase the sex drive if EPS / CIT is present since, this way, the estrogenization is amplified ( copper parallels estrogen: Cu↑→ Zn↓ → aromatase↑ → estrogen↑ ). Important to know : taking Zn greatly increases the induced MT, but because copper has a MT affinity much higher than Zinc, the retention of Zn will be drastically diminished and, correlatively , the intracellular copper stores ( and the ratio Cu / Zn ) become higher than beforehand.
Statins or Superoxide dismutase ( SOD )?
Decreasing cholesterol is just a modulator ; more important is to strengthen the antioxidant protection, especially by correcting the usual deficient SOD enzyme , induced according to the diagram:
(Cu↔MT)↑ → Cuf↓, Zn↓ →Cu,Zn SOD↓ → Superoxide Anion↑→ LDL C oxidation
Vitamin C deficiency : ( Cu↔MT)↑ → vitamin C↓ → Silent scurvy
Why are the Western populations prone to gum disease? Statistics show that most Americans reaching 60-65 years, being copper dominant , lost their teeth, despite intensively practicing mechanical procedures such as brushing and flossing. To correct this deficiency , vitamin C complex , meaning ascorbic acid ( as “pure” vitamin C – the old hexuronic acid ) associated with bioflavonoids ( such as rutin and hesperidin ) as metabolic enhancers, seems to be the best option. However, administering vitamin C when CIT is present, doesn’t lead automatically to an increase of the vit.C content in the intra- or extracellular compartments, but , first of all, it contributes to a decrease of toxic deposits of copper (and calcium).This explains why many patients don’t have any normal antioxidant symptoms only after ingesting megadoses ( 5,000 mg vit.C / day or more). Note: under stress ( EPS ), the metabolic requirements of the body for some nutrients ( especially the copper antagonists ) are greatly ( 10 – 100 times ) increased. This should be a very good news for some mega – experts since we can establish as many Pauling ( and, correlatively , ortho- medicines ) as copper antagonists, namely : vitamin C ( sorry, the job is done ), sulfur, chromium, a.s.o.
Silent ( asymptomatic ) implications of the copper imbalance:
Silent acidosis : Cu↑ → Ca i ↓, Mg i ↓ ( Me i = mineral in soluble,ionic state );
Silent scurvy: Cu↑→vitamin C ↓;
silent infection: Cu↑↓;
silent inflammation: Cuf↓;
silent degeneration : Cu↑ → XIAP↓( lowering the normal cell apoptotic threshold);
Copper found in our drinking water and food may play a role in the onset of Alzheimer’s disease and other ” silent ” implications ( Courtesy: Medical News Today )
silent estrogenization: Cu↑→Zn↓→ aromatase↑;
silent overweight : Cu ↑ → Cr ↓ ; Cu ↑ → Ca ↑
silent dehydration: Cu↑→ choline↓, sodium↓;
silent hypertension: Cu↑→Cuf↓→Lox activity↓→ arterial fibrosis (collagen deposition)…
silent hypothyroidism : Cu ↑ → Zn ↓, Mn ↓, Se ↓,… ( T4–⁄→ T3 )
silent cancer : Cu ↑→ Zn ↓ → vitamin A ↓ ( abnormal cell differentiation / proliferation );
silent heart failure: Cu↑ → Cu f↓, Zn ↓, Mn ↓→ Cu, Zn SOD ↓; MnSOD ↓ → ( mitochondrial / intracellular hyperoxidative stress )
silent dementia : due to impaired adrenals & liver activity → copper / zinc imbalance leading to over-stimulation of the emotional brain ( di – encephalon)
silent Alzheimer’s : Cu↑ ( due to age, etc. ) → pseudo- chaperone effect of the beta- amyloid proteins → plaque formation
1. It is currently asserted that Alzheimer’s ( and / or dementia ) is incurable. I strongly disagree . I consider that we are actually dealing with a unique ( but very complex! ) problem of copper toxicity ( intra and extra- cellular ,having as modulators some other toxic metals like Fe, Zn, Hg, Cd,…; complex means not just direct hyper-oxidative effect, not just sub/ under or over-methylation ,… but equally – or more exactly especially- copper interference toxicity = CIT , according to our model . A main correlative, aggravating aspect is the deficiency of copper controlling proteins such as MT ( metallothionein ) and CP ( ceruloplasmin ) involving some exhausted ( aged, etc. ) adrenals : EPS → weak adrenals → cortisol ↓ → MT ↓, mainly leading to a lack of sequestration = the main mechanism of controlling copper overload and, implicitly, to the imbalance of a crucial ( emotional ) ratio: copper / zinc, as well as to a lack of preventing – by the drastic different affinities – of the toxic involving of beta-amyloid proteins in pseudo-chaperone effects leading finally to the formation of ” plaque”. What we have to do, in my opinion, is to look for some efficient , synergistic strategies aiming to bring and maintain the intra-cellular copper level and the production of MT / CP within the normal ( highly individualized ! ) physiological range.
Cateva precizari adresate in mod special colegilor din Romania ( ca si nespecialistilor direct interesati ) privind implicarea copper overload in formarea beta – amyloid- plaque, in spatiul extracelular ( vezi Fig. de mai sus ), precum si sugestii pt. preventia / tratamentul AD cu ajutorul unor chelatori metalici specifici . Exista inca nu putini cercetatori – autori care considera contributia -cheie a copper la formarea placii senile ca fiind inacceptabila datorita unor particularitati functionale cum ar fi concentratia insuficienta a ionilor de cupru in compartimentul vizat, afinitatea prea redusa a subsistemelor implicate ( beta amyloid peptides ) fata de acesti ioni, etc. Cea mai concludenta abordare / explicitare a acestor rezerve o ofera articolul publicat de un grup de cercetatori britanici ( Univ. of London ) , condus de C.D.SYME si intitulat “ Copper Binding to the Amyloid – Beta Peptide Associated with Alzheimer ‘s Disease ” ( J.Biol. Chemistry, 2004, vol. 279 / 18, p. 18169 ). Citez un pasaj clarificator:
“There is now direct evidence that copper is bound to Amyloid – Beta ( AB ) peptide in senile plaque of Alzheimer’s disease. Copper is also linked with the neurotoxicity of AB and free radical damage, and Cu2+ chelators represent a possible therapy for Alzheimer’s disease.”
Studiul colegilor londonezi face cateva trimiteri semnificative (inclusiv referitoare la dizolvarea placii toxice de catre chelatori bine alesi ) dintre care eu recomand in special cele 3 references ( nr, 14;24; 25 ) semnate de ATWOOD C.S., CHERNY R.A. , DONG J. , and coll. Un paper mai recent ( 2012 ) , scotand in evidenta , de asemenea rolul chelatorilor metalici este semnat de gruparea condusa de GENG J. ( J.Med. Chem, 55 / 21 , pp 9146-55 ).
In opinia mea – bazata atat pe cercetarile proprii cat si pe concluziile altor specialisti, cel mai specific chelator pt. Cu2+ este resveratrol-ul , care poate fi utilizat atat in preventie cat si in tratamentul AD. Intrucat acest ” trifenol ” natural ( denumire sistematica : 3,5,4′-trihydroxystilbene ) este ” ridicol de ieftin “, el neputand fi ” imitat ” ( sintetizat ) in laborator ( si daca totusi ar fi , pacientii naturisti au la dispozitie o sursa pe cat de accesibila pe atat de…delicioasa =the red wine / vinul rosu ). Fraza anterioara explica faptul ca resveratrol-ul nu este promovat de catre medicina si farmacologia conventionala al caror obiectiv major il constituie nu optimizarea starii de sanatate ( health / wellness ) a populatiei ci realizarea unui profit maxim, repet : MAXIM. Prezint in continuare cateva dintre performantele general-protective ( in perspectiva deopotriva profilactica si curativa ) ale resveratrol-ului, conform jurnalului “Natural Health News Report” issue # 120 :
” Resveratrol protects you from Head to Toe”:
– Healthy heart, arteries ( promoting normal cholesterol levels and healthy homocysteine concentration );
– fortifies your immunity by fighting free radicals;
– prevents oxidation of fatty foods ( for cardiovascular boost );
– protects brain and memory ( brain = more than 90 % fat ! );
– maintains healthy veins , circulation and blood pressure ( red wine acting as a vasodilator );
– keeps skin looking young, tight , fresh…